Who: Aaron Gordon, Civil Engineering Student at Clemson University
What: Working as a Project Manager
Where: Haiti
When: January-August 2015
Why: Keep reading to find out for yourself

Monday, June 22, 2015

Sa pral rive nan semen avek kat jedi

That will happen in the week of four Thursdays.

Tomorrow I go home for my brother's wedding but I will be back next week. After that, I only have about a month left of this experience. However, there are still two projects I want to finish in July: the solar panel at the school in Morne Michel and the clean water system in Ba Cange (the small community that lives next to the lake below Cange).

This weekend, the local high school here had their graduation. It was a major affair that lasted over six hours and made other graduations seem rushed. However, this ceremony was much more interesting with everything from lip-syncing Beyonce songs to a fake wedding.

The graduation ceremony was in the church and it was packed. When the power went off and the fans stopped, you can imagine it got hot and smelly pretty quickly.

After the ceremony, I went to a reception for one of the wealthiest families in Cange. Check out this cake:
I just want to point out the fountain underneath which is a part of the cake. I guess Haiti has a Cake Boss too.

In terms of the Marketplace project, the erosion due to the bulldozer is much worse than expected. Even if we decided to proceed after the government broke their promise, we would spend all the allotted money to build retaining walls much less a marketplace. We are waiting to see how our funding source handles the situation but it is out of our hands.

I am looking forward to going home for the first time in six months but I know I will be eager to get back to finish my work. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment