Who: Aaron Gordon, Civil Engineering Student at Clemson University
What: Working as a Project Manager
Where: Haiti
When: January-August 2015
Why: Keep reading to find out for yourself

Monday, July 20, 2015

Pis gaye pa kimen

Spread piss doesn't foam.

As we go into my last week here, I am desperately trying to tie up all my loose ends.

Today, I went down to the new water system in Ba Cange to finish calibrating the chlorine levels. We added a waste line to the system on Saturday so that the water will be continuously flowing through the in-line chlorinator.  It seems that this may clear up all the issues but I am hoping to get another colorimeter to measure chlorine levels on Saturday that I can give to our Haitian employees who live there. This way, they can monitor their own water.

Tomorrow I return to Bel-Aire one last time to check out their system again before I leave.  The rest of the week I am going to Port-au-Prince to pick up the head of CEDC’s finances so he can take a look at establishing project accounts. We keep an account with Partners in Health but we don’t have separate accounts for each project. With any luck, specific project accounts should make our job much easier down here.

Saturday, my boss and CEDC’s industry advisor arrives to continue the conversations with the community of taking responsibility for the Cange Water System. Talking to people in the village, they are well aware of what we are doing and talking to their neighbors and friends about it. I am just happy to have been here to start this crucial conversation.


A few weeks ago I mentioned that I wanted to build the Ba Cange Water System, mount the solar panels at Morne Michel, and begin the process of transferring ownership of the Cange Water System before I left. With one week to go, I can confidently say that I have completed these goals. Now its just a matter of making sure I can leave here knowing that everything is in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment