Who: Aaron Gordon, Civil Engineering Student at Clemson University
What: Working as a Project Manager
Where: Haiti
When: January-August 2015
Why: Keep reading to find out for yourself

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Bat fe a panda li cho a

Strike the hammer while the iron is hot.


We finally got the materials we need to fix our chlorinator here in Cange. The original plan was to purchase an erosion chlorinator but the high pressures in our lines precluded us from buying one domestically. As a result, this project turned into a "Junkyard Wars"-esque effort to find a solution. Above you see our desparate efforts to pull something together; it is far from pretty but it seems to be functional. 

This is me working on our rough design. We are using old filter housings that haven't been used in years along with an assortment of PVC pipe and fittings to create our own erosion chlorinator. We test tomorrow. Let's hope it works!

The other day, I was pretty stressed and on the phone with someone trying to solve one of the many problems we are having here. While on the phone, a small Haitian boy (no older than 10) came up and sat next to me. Seeing this, I thought "Great, he's going to ask me for money or food as soon as I am off the phone." As the phone conversation continued, the kid begin to doodle in a little notebook. When I finally got off the phone, I turned to him with a somewhat exasperated look. He told me his name, he told me that I looked tired and stressed, and then he gave me his drawing He said it was for me, stood up, and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment