Who: Aaron Gordon, Civil Engineering Student at Clemson University
What: Working as a Project Manager
Where: Haiti
When: January-August 2015
Why: Keep reading to find out for yourself

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Na tan grangou, patat pa gen po.

In times of famine, potatoes have no skin.


As mentioned in my last post, we spent some of this week with the Clemson students working on installing the sand filters for a water system. As shown above, they aren't perfect but they worked. The goal was that these sand filters would reduce the sediment loads on our cartridge filters and better clean the water.



Unfortunately, the valves on the sand filters failed last night. The weight of the pipes, the tight connections, and the powerful pump on the other side were too much for the plastic. I knew we needed to get supports for the piping but I was too busy doing other projects to make it a priority. That was my mistake but I don't know how much tit really mattered. As you can see, I still have a lot to learn.


I spent the rest of the week doing site assessments with students and going to Morne Michel. I expect to start repairing their school (pictured here) in April. Ideally, we will also have the funds to install a solar panel and light so students can study in the morning and evening. This is one of the most impoverished villages I have seen so I am eager to get started. 

I am flying back to Clemson tomorrow for a few meetings and presentations so there will be another longer delay between posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment