Who: Aaron Gordon, Civil Engineering Student at Clemson University
What: Working as a Project Manager
Where: Haiti
When: January-August 2015
Why: Keep reading to find out for yourself

Monday, April 13, 2015

Lajan fe chen danse

Money makes the dog dance.

Tomorrow we start repairing the school at Morne Michel. I am both eager and anxious to get things underway. It is starting to rain more and more (every other afternoon/evening now) and rain delays can seriously drive up the budget for the project.

The plan is to stay up on the mountain, camping on-site for the week and returning on Saturday. We have ten bags of water, five bags of rice, three bags of spaghetti, and several pounds of other provisions for food and sustenance. It is going to be several consecutive days where I will not speak any English or see any Americans, the longest time in my life without speaking or hearing English. It’ll be like Avatar except without the special effects (although I’m not sure what Avatar is exactly without the special effects).

I’ll also be going several consecutive days without showering. On the other hand, sweating that much will do wonders for my pores (right?).  

In other news, I went to another remote village on Friday to repair their water system. I brought a backpack full of couplings, compression valves, 90s and other PVC piping only to realize that the issue was a galvanized union. On the bright side, we keep plenty of unions in our depot…in Cange…darn. Regardless, we should be able to fix that later on this week. I might send one of our employees with the replacement pieces and let them handle it. It’s a quick fix.


I’ll be sure to take plenty of pictures of our progress up on the mountain. I don’t know for sure when the next post will be but it will most likely not be until the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment