Who: Aaron Gordon, Civil Engineering Student at Clemson University
What: Working as a Project Manager
Where: Haiti
When: January-August 2015
Why: Keep reading to find out for yourself

Monday, June 8, 2015

Kreyon Bondye pa gen efas

God's pencil doesn't have an eraser.

I realize that it is has been quite a bit of time since I have commented on my language ability. At this point, after having been immersed in the Creole language for several months, I am comfortable conversing with anyone. While some more specific vocabulary words still elude me, I find that I can communicate any idea that I want. Listening and full comprehension is still difficult at times, especially when conversing with people who have little to no teeth, but language is no longer a handicap.

There have been times when I get confused about which language I am speaking and end up speaking Creole to white people. The worst (or best?) time was when one of our Haitian cooks approached me and asked me if I had seen someone. I replied that I had not and that I did not know she could speak English(!). To this, she gave me a confused look and walked away. At this point, I realized that she had asked me the question in Creole and my brain, for whatever reason, thought it was in English. I have not had a dream in Creole per se but I have had dreams that take place in Haiti so I am speaking and hearing Creole in them.

I think the most interesting thing about this language is that there is no single way to spell words. Despite the fact that everything is phonetic, some of the most heated debates I have seen here involve how to properly spell things.  I suppose that is the consequence of not having a standardized curriculum across the country and/or region. Most people did not grow up with an official Creole Dictionary on their bookshelf.


This week I will be working on prepping our next set of projects and some housekeeping items. I hope to start the process of fixing up our sand filters and constructing the water system in Ba Cange. We’ll see how things go!

No comments:

Post a Comment