Who: Aaron Gordon, Civil Engineering Student at Clemson University
What: Working as a Project Manager
Where: Haiti
When: January-August 2015
Why: Keep reading to find out for yourself

Friday, June 12, 2015

Ze pa danse ak woch

Eggs have no business dancing with stones.

I thought it was about time that I talked about some traditional Haitian food.

This is a plate of frita, a Haitian dish that consists of a variety of fried food and pikliz. Above, you can see fried plantains, fried marinade (like a hushpuppy), and fried beef. Pikliz is like Haitian coleslaw except saltier and with vinegar. It is my favorite Haitian food by far.

The other day I went to Port-au-Prince and bought what they call 'Je Potpourri.' It is basically a Haitian smoothie; it has all sorts of tropical fruits and ice. The one you see above has mango, banana, papaya, and corossol (a fruit that resembles a coconaut but is much sweeter). It is absolutely delicious and the pitcher you see above only costs 50 HTG (less than a US dollar).


This is a CEDC cornhole board. It was made by another Clemson student and he brought it all the way to Haiti. I've carried a lot of weird things through airports but I can't even imagine lugging this  around...Then again, it was about time that someone brought cornhole to Haiti.

I am going to the Dominican Republic this weekend to go to a friend's graduation from engineering school there. It should be a good trip and I'll put up pictures next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment